Too much honey taste (and too sweet) in my nougat. Can I increase the proportion of egg white?

I used a recipe that uses sugar, honey, and egg white for my nougat. It came out perfectly fine (not too hard, not too soft), but the taste of honey is too strong, and its too sweet. Can I increase the proportion of egg white from 2 egg white to 3? Thanks.

1 Comment

Emmie
Emmie November 5, 2017

Candy-making can be pretty tricky, and if you add another egg white it would probably throw things off. To cut the honey flavor, you can probably substitute corn syrup for part of the honey. To cut the sweetness, I'd add some salt.

Jimmy Lee
Jimmy Lee November 5, 2017

Wow thanks a lot! It's like a sudden oh-yes! moment when I read your reply. I know that honey is fructose + glucose, so is there any specific type of corn syrup that I should get? -- eg, will high fructose corn syrup work?

Emmie
Emmie November 5, 2017

Probably regular light corn syrup, since I think that's what most nougat uses, and that's probably easier to get than high-fructose. I'd probably sub by weight and not volume.