🔕 🔔

Belgian vs regular waffles , different recipes or interchangeable?

I usually make Aretha Frankstein waffles of insane greatness in a regular waffle maker. Do I need to use a different recipe for Belgian waffle maker?

asked by Dona 5 months ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

I saw at least one person mention in the comments of that recipe that they made it in a Belgian waffle maker!

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Thanks, I make tons of waffles for my daughters family to keep in their freezer. My waffle maker died and I a. Identify bought a cuisinart Belgian waffle maker from America’s Test Kitchen ( on Sale, not returnable) and so far I hate it. I’ve had several disasters and thought maybe I need a different recipe. I’ve made literally thousands of waffles successfully and this is making me nuts.

Oh no, that's so frustrating! Hopefully it's just a matter of playing around with settings, but here's another tested option for you to try: https://food52.com/recipes...

@Dona, what's happening? Is the batter sticking too much? What were the disasters?

The first batch I made the basic waffle recipe from The Food Lab. The first waffle burned badly, the next three were various degrees of not done. I watched a YouTube video from Cuisinart demo-I found this waffle maker and her waffles were under done also. Then I made my regular recipe of Aretha waffles and they were slightly better but not successful. The maker beeps three times when the waffle is ‘done’ but at that point they’re not done so I’ll just need to work with it I guess. It’s a machine that you fill will batter and then flip. And it’s Belgian, not regular. I need to try a recipe for Belgian and most of those have yeast. Not a bad thing just different. I make a triple batch of Aretha waffles every month for my grandkids and they love them! I don’t know how I raised a daughter who doesn’t cook, but that’s another issue!

Dona...
2 ideas
Yes some Belgian waffles recipes depend on yeast for raising but others juat use eggs.
If you haven't made the basic recipe recommended for the cuisinart waffles maker, the manual is online and has a handful of recipes.

I’ll try that, thanks.