🔕 🔔

I have a question about 'Spicy Lacto-fermented Pear Chutney' recipe: I've never fermented anything before - what do I do about the lid?

I know it must exclude oxygen but do I not need to vent the jar somehow? I have only standard lids and jars and no way of buying alternatives right now as in the Bulgarian interior. Sincere thanks.

asked by Sandy 2 months ago

You can 'burp' it once a day. Just unscrew the lid and pop it open for less than a second. For any and all questions you have about fermentation, refer to the 'It's Alive!' series featuring Brad Leone, produced by Bon Appetit.