🔕 🔔

Hi - My nephew says he would like a choc. chip cookie cake for his birthday tomorrow. That sounds easy enough, but I would like to make him something

The simplest thing to do would be to buy toll house choc chip cookie dough - make big pan. I'm hoping there's a recipe that would be a real cake but still satisfy his wishes.- Thanks - Jen

asked by jwaterm1 almost 6 years ago
10e51050 649e 4a85 8af7 2b896997a1c4  image rcfbkcspubjytgbefpoq lrg

Use the cookie bar recipe on the back of a pack of tollhouse semi sweet chocolate chips. It's so good.

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Jen, the newest Barefoot Contessa cookbook (which is a big disappointment compared to her previous books but that's neither here nor there) has a recipe that might be perfect.

1. She takes a springform pan.

2. She buys some really good, crisp, salty chocolate chip cookies (she endorses Tate's, which is a brand here in NYC that is really very addictive).

3. She makes a flat layer of cookies on the bottom of the pan.

4. She spreads homemade whipped cream on top of the cookies.

She then adds a layer of cookies, then whipped cream, then cookies, etc... until the pan is full.

Then refrigerates overnight so the cookies can soften from the moisture of the whipped cream.

Hope that helps!

This is a literal interpretation- kinda swesome
http://desertculinary.blogspot...

I have had a actual 9x13 inch cake with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. They sink in as the cake bakes and it is unfrosted. If that's what you are looking form, I can see if my mother still has the recipe.

7ca2de15 6c0a 4b2f af9a e40414391433  pb030032ma7340596 0007

I agree with JessieLK, esp if he's very young. He's probably thinking of one of those large choc chip pizza type things. Just make the recipe on the back of the bag; you can reduce the amount of the sugars (brown & white) if you don't like it that sweet.

Then make some buttercream frosting, tint it and decorate. You could even get away with using canned frosting if you're pinched for time.

I know it's a bummer when you're a foodie and you want to create, but trust me, tampering with a child's idea of something is not a good idea.

Of course, if he's an adventurous foodie himself (or he's older and more open to interpretation) that's a different story. If that's the case, use this recipe for a great chocolate chip cookie (read the article that goes along with it too, it's great).

http://www.nytimes.com...

Good luck and happy cooking!

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree with jowinik--decorating a giant cookie is probably what is called for in this case. The NY Times recipe is great, and not much different than the Toll House recipe (as mentioned in the article), just in case you don't have cake flour and bread flour on hand. The really important part is to let the dough rest for 24 hours. We did the experiment ourselves, making the same recipe 24 hours before and just before baking and found the difference to be huge. Some people actually liked the unrested cookies better, probably because they spread out more and had crispy edges by the time the center was done. Most preferred the rested cookie, and for the giant cookie, the resting would definitely be the way to go to evenly cook something that large.

I think if you want to jazz it up, in addition to toppings, frosting decoration, etc, you can bake a layer of brownies underneath the cookie for a double layer pie. That's usually kid-approved while having a little extra home-baked goodness. Look up "Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies" and just keep the ratio in check (more cookie than brownie);