I have had an entire beef tenderloin in the freezer for one year, Will it still be tender and will it have flavor?

Any tips on roasting it?

asked by Mackie Christenson 8 months ago

Yes beef tenderloin is ok (safe) to cook after 12 months in freezer (see still tasty.com for more info).
As for tenderness and flavor, take care in roasting it, letting it rest after roasting and before slicing, etc (see thekitchn for mistakes to avoid in cooking this cut of beef).

Or see the Molly Stevens article here (under holiday entertaining) on h2 cook perfect beef tenderloin.

Mackie Christenson

Thank you so much. I actually have two of them and two events...What a relief.

ktr
ktr

The biggest thing with tenderloin is to keep an eye on it so you don't over cook it.

Mackie Christenson

I took the advice to look up Molly Steven's recipe. Thanks.

Be careful cooking beef tenderloin, because it doesn't have much fat and can easily become dry.
My preferred go-to for advice on just about anything is Julia Child's book, "The Way to Cook." It's a never-fail for many years.

MMH
MMH

I just prepared a tenderloin which had been in the freezer since December 2016. I trimmed a few places which looked a bit grey while I was trimming the fat. I slathered it with garlic, fresh rosemary and olive oil. I let it marinate for about 2 hours. I tied it and added salt and pepper. We grilled it to 125 degrees and there was no hint of off taste or freezer burn. Good luck!