I have a fatal shellfish allergy and need to find a source of uncontaminated salmon that has not touched any shellfish during processing.

None of the meat dpts. in my grocery stores will attest to their salmon (even the packaged, frozen ones) being uncontaminated by shellfish. Does anyone know of a brand or some way of getting salmon that has been untouched by shellfish during catch and processing? I would love to add it to my diet again but need it to be safe.

asked by Karen 9 months ago

I have severe reaction to any alcohol including wine. We have stopped going out because I cannot trust anyone to be 100% that the food does not contain it.
Don’t eat it, don’t buy it, it’s not worth the risk. BB

Stewart

You can buy wild salmon that is frozen at sea from a number of Seattle and Alaska retailers. Pike Place Market, for example.

Karen

Interesting; I will look at those.

Karen, if you have a fatal allergy aren't you scared to take the slightest chance?

Some adult salmon species eat shrimp. No fishing boat can attest to not have salmon, or any product, cross contaminating. For the sake of your health and peace of mind for yourself and family recommend giving up the idea of eating salmon.

Yikes! Great point, SKK.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Yes, you're right SKK. salmon's pink color comes from the natural pigments in the shellfish they eat. Farm raised salmon gets it's color from coloring that is put in it's food

So then, Karen, as it seems (from SKK, Chops, Phil) most adult species of adult salmon do eat shrimp, the medical/physiological question for you and your doctor, is do the shellfish allergens so dangerous to you survive their transformation by salmon digestion, or do they become something different and thus safe for you?

scruz

with something that dangerous, i think it would be foolhardy to buy anything except fresh from a fisherman. there is no way that you can be assured with any kind of processed/frozen salmon that there would be zero cross contamination. i'd strike salmon off of my list.

Karen

Nancy and others: Realize I used to be able to eat the salmon when I lived on the east coast because I got it from seafood places that knew what they were doing in terms of separating the fish from the shellfish, cross contamination, etc. Since moving to a small rural community there is not the demand for good fish nor the knowledge and experience to deal with it in the meat counter of the grocery store. The safety is just not dependable; it is too risky. That has been the problem. So I gave up eating fish after we moved but have really missed it so I decided to try to solve the problem. I am not sure how the eating of shellfish by the salmon makes it a non-issue for me, but apparently it does. I have ordered coho salmon portions and a couple sockeye as well and will report back. They will each be marked as Kosher certified "OU". Thanks so much for all your help and concern.

Seafood is forbidden - both in the processing and eating - by the kosher laws.
Check with the local Jewish community for a seller if kosher fish (free-standing or within another store) to see if they can help you.
Or maybe put you in touch with a non-local source of frozen kosher fish.

Karen

Very interesting but I'm a little confused. If seafood is forbidden how would there be kosher fish? Sorry to be so ignorant but this is such a good idea you have that I'd like to pursue it and need some background knowledge. Thanks!

Seafood, I thought, was shell fish lobster, shrimp, crab, not finned fish. Is that correct, Nancy?

Karen, the fish with fins and scales are permitted; all other sea creatures are forbidden (grouped here as "seafood" however inclusive that term may be elsewhere).
So, yes, BB your conclusions are correct. But the starting point is the permitted class of (regular) fish.
Hope this helps.

Karen

Read your other reply and now I understand. I have no Jewish community here in my very rural, west Nebraska town so will need to look online for the kosher salmon. Is there a particular label or designation that I need to look for to be sure it is for sure Kosher?

Karen -
1) Overview. The field of kosher certification is a mixture of some mutually recognized expertise & some competition for who is strictest and purest. Aim for national &/or big reliable organizations. On the other hand, with your fatal allergy, you might want the strictest. When you get closer to buying, I suggest you talk or write in detail to human being in charge of processing and/or sourcing the fish to make sure the food will be safe for you. Don't, I beg you, just rely on a label.
2) Biggest and most common certification of national packaged food is by the Orthodox Union (products show symbol U inside an O).
3) Packaged kosher food also carries symbols from bodies (national, regional, countries like Canada & Israel that export to USA). Here are some links for you:
https://www.thespruce.com...
https://www.google.ca/search...
3) Certification for locally produced fresh food (bakery, dairy, meat and fish) is often by local inspectors (specialists in their fields, usually certified by both religious communities and prevaling food regulations ).
4) Start your search in midwest & western cities with large Jewish populations near Nebraska, e.g., LA, Las Vegas, Chicago, Houston, St Louis.
5) If you can't find what you want there, search NYC or tri-state area (NY, CT, NJ)...which will have the biggest selection.
6) And I hope you find fish that is both pleasing and safe to eat ;)

Last, referring to SKK comment about salmon eating shrimp, you may need to choose another species to eat.

Karen

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! I am SO EXCITED!!! Following your help, I found an online source to order Kosher salmon and I called and spoke to them and they do their salmon in a completely separate facility from the shellfish so that all contamination is avoided. I feel confident this will be the answer. Thank you SO much for bringing up the Kosher certification idea...

sara diamond

They are kosher, but do shellfish processing? Hmm....

msmely

You may have better luck with other salmonids like trout where shellfish is less likely to occur. That said, nothing can be truly certified as safe. If we are talking a severe anaphylactic reaction to shellfish, there is no remedy that is better than total avoidance. Personally, I'd make https://food52.com/recipes... and call it a day.

Karen

Love the recipe, thanks!!