🔕 🔔

Is it necessary to use a potholder when removing the lid from the Kobenstyle casserole, once it’s been on the stove for a while, cooking over heat?

See the video in this recent Food52 article. https://food52.com/blog... (I posted a question in the comments to the article but no one from Food52 responded.) Thanks so much. ;o)

asked about 1 month ago

3d6b515c 5134 4af9 8148 ce3943eda528  1px white
added about 1 month ago

I find that the wisest practice is that if you don't know for certain that something that could be hot is actually cold, it is best to assume that it *is* hot and use a kitchen rag/pot holder/etc., especially something like a breakable lid.

added about 1 month ago

In my experience with them for many years, yes use a potholder.

added about 1 month ago

Okay, thanks so much. It puzzles me that a company that sells a product, and which therefore can be liable for negligence (and now, I suppose, gross negligence, since the problem has been pointed out to them) for injuries caused by it, would demonstrate the product's use in a way that could injure a consumer . . . . ;o)

added about 1 month ago

Antonia, can't address your (rhetorical?) legal question, but keep in mind these pots are made of enameled cast iron, so yes they conduct heat. I suppose if the heat is low and for a short period, the lid might be safely handled without a potholder. But generally not, and I would use caution.

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

added about 1 month ago

For anyone else who might be curious, Managing Editor Joanna Sciarrino responded on the related article, saying: "It's metal so it will get hot, but it generally keeps cooler than a normal knob because it's so thin. That said, definitely use caution if handling without a mitt."

added about 1 month ago

Great, thanks, L-J. I've had a Kobenstyle baking dish since mid-way through the first Reagan term (the ultimate wedding gift) which I adore and have used constantly, all these years. I'm thinking it's time to get the casserole . . . . the ultimate stove - oven - table piece. And is it true you can use that lid as a trivet? ;o)

added about 1 month ago

I use the lid of mine as a trivet! (But only if it hasn't been in use covering the dish while cooking.)