🔕 🔔

homemade pasta tutorials?

I've got a kilo of 00 flour coming via mail, a kitchen aid pasta attachment gathering dust in the basement, a weekend coming up where I don't have any huge plans and a can-do attitude. Unfortunately, it's not this weekend but the following one. However, this gives me time to plot out my plan of attack! Anyone have any go-to tutorials, recipes, tips or tricks you would be willing to share? Any disaster-laden paths I should avoid treading on? I'm determined to tackle homemade pasta this year and, as always, this is the group I turn to first. I'm not scared of filled pasta either, like ravioli. Shower me with your knowledge, oh awesome F52 friends!

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked 12 days ago

17d754b8 8a6f 4619 b268 baade3ca1f9e  img 8399

Mastering Pasta by Marc Vetri is a great resource. I'd start with simple shapes, like pappardelle and fettuccine, then go from there. And pay extra attention to the Kitchen Aid dial numbers (which calculate thickness). Some recipes reference a specific number, but the thickness this correlates to has changed between models. So, if it seems too thin or thick, it probably is—trust your gut!

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

That's a good catch - the thickness dials on the attachment. Would never have occurred to me. Thanks!

I don't have a specific tutorial but I have this tip that Marc Matsumoto (No Recipes) taught me. He showed me how to use a (covered) ironing board to roll out pasta since I didn't have a lot of counter space in my old apartment. We basically attached the hand-crank pasta machine to the ironing board. We even made ravioli and again that ironing board really came in handy. I find that homemade pasta is much more fun with at least one more person, because an extra pair of hands makes the rolling out process much easier.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I've (fortunately) got great counter space - but I remember my mom laying out fresh pasta over the clothes drying rack that she would drag out into the kitchen on pasta making occasions. I'll enlist the 10 and 7 yo kiddos to help - no way they aren't psyched to make noodles! Thanks for the tips!

Just a few tips from my learning curve on pasta:
1) Used Marcella Hazan's recipe for pasta dough; found it easy and worked first time and always. Many fewer tears and no failures (unlike learning to work with yeast)
2) used no machines* 1st few times and developed feel for the dough (as with making bread)...*Just a board, rolling pin, hands or fork to mix the dough. Later got and used manual rolling machine. Still prefer board & rolling pin.
3) agree with Half Pint...somehow much more fun to do with another person, especially if you're later making a batch of filled pasta with it's repetitive minute movements.
Be fearless, have a good time, & please report back ;)

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Can you ever go wrong with Marcella Hazan? I've got her cookbook at home, so I'll go with that recipe and maybe throw in her amaze-balls meat sauce to boot!

Try a few video tutorials: https://www.101cookbooks...

Good luck! Agree with starting with simple shapes first.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Yah, I think even though I am itching to try some ravioli, I am probably just going to stick with a normal fettuccini-type noodle at first. Baby steps.... :)

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I am also very interested in learning to make homemade pasta. I've made it a few times now. Here's a link to the recipe and directions I've used. Each time I've made it, I've had excellent results. Let me know how you do, please. http://www.seriouseats...

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

This is a great article - with lots of pictures. Excellent resource - thank you!