🔕 🔔

Does anyone know the science behind using butter as a greaser?i need to know for research but CAN NOT find a single website to tell me WHY it works

I did a science fair project on what greaser works best for grilled cheese. I️ used 6 greasers. I did my testing and got my results, and need background info as to why they work so well as greasers. I have been searching the web for the past 2 hours and haven’t found a single usable website that tells me HOW and WHY something like butter works for greasing a pan, or even why greasing a pan is necessary, like the science behind it.i am in desperate need of help!

asked by 99abk 7 days ago

Ask yourself which science is involved?
(Likely chemistry; possibly physics having to do with the material composition of the pan.)
Talk to one or more people in those subjects (scientists, research librarians); who can direct your research to useful areas.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Check Serious Eats, The Food Lab and Alton Browns Good Eats. They explain the science behind a lot of cooking techniques.

Here's a list:

Cook's Illustrated: The Science of Good Cooking, by The Editors of America's Test Kitchen and Guy Crosby Ph.D
On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee
The Kitchen as Laboratory: Reflections on the Science of Food and Cooking, by César Vega, Job Ubbink, and Erik van der Linden
Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking by Nathan Myhrvold, Chris Young, and Maxime Bilet, and Modernist Cuisine at Home by Nathan Myhrvold and Maxime Bilet
I'm Just Here for the Food and Gear for Your Kitchen by Alton Brown

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I don't know the science but butter tastes awesome, that's why you need it! Seriously though , humans have a fat tooth as well as a sweet tooth, probably as a survival tool as fat carries a lot of calories which would be critical during early human evolution. Fats also help food not stick to the pan ( think how oil lubricates your car engine ) . Try Alton Brown, he looks at the science behind cooking http://www.foodnetwork...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

It is complicated, check out Harold McGee on Food and Cooking, especially chapter 14, Cooking Methods and Utensil Materials, where there is a section on frying: "the oil has several roles to play: it brings the uneven surface of the food into uniform contact with the heat source, it lubricates and prevents sticking, and it supplies some flavor." Also Chapter 13, The Four Basic Food Molecules, the section section Fats and Oils, and subsection on fats and heat. There are also sections on the chemical structure of fats and oils, Maillard reaction, etc. The latter probably comes into play at the point of contact between the cooking vessel and the food. He doesn't give a simple, single answer but this is a start.