heavy-bottomed saucepans?

Reading through the recipes of the finalists for the "best pudding" contest I noted that a heavy-bottomed saucepan is called for in both. I was wondering, when do you use a heavy-bottomed in a recipe and why? Also, any recommendations for which ones are good to buy? Thanks!

Queen of Spoons
Queen of Spoons March 4, 2011

Heavy-bottomed saucepans are great for anything, but in particular for things that may be easily scorched like puddings. Also stews or things that stay on the stove for a long time. Heavy bottoms in pans make the heat more controllable and evenly dispersed.

Midge
Midge March 4, 2011

I love my Le Creuset enameled cast-iron saucepan for things like this.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 4, 2011

the heavy bottom ones are much slower in warming up, but better at retaining heat & transferring it more evenly to the food being cooked.
Thinner sheet metal heats up more quickly & unevenly (notice how the scorch marks tend to match the gas burner flame!) & transfers it equally fast, scorching the food.
Its kind of like a capacitor in that sense!