🔕 🔔

How do I convert a saucepan recipe to a stovetop-safe tagine?

I'm making a chicken vindaloo recipe that calls for cooking in a saucepan over the stovetop, but I have a stovetop-safe tagine from Williams Sonoma I'd like to use and wondering how to best alter the cooking instructions, if necessary?

asked by MCSquared 8 months ago

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Use a flame tamer to sit over a gas burner. They are available in most kitchenware stores--including Williams Sonoma. Cooking time should be approximately the same, although it might take longer. The flame tamer will distribute heat more evenly around the base of the tagine.

I thought about it a little bit more as I worked at Williams Sonoma on a temporary basis last year. If your tagine is the in the Emile-Henry "Flame" line you won't need the flame tamer. It's one of the few earthenware lines that can sit directly on a gas burner. Cooking time will depend on how much you are making.

Some vindaloo recipes have a fair amount of liquid (e.g., 2 cups water or broth).
As tagine (pots) are designed to cook with little water, this might be too much...recipe not get cooked through, loose sauce or flavors not absorbed.
If your vindaloo recipe has liquid, I would reduce it to 1/3 or 1/4 to start, check at some midpoint and only add more water/broth if it looks to be needed.
If your recipe mostly has spices, aromatics and a bit of oil, I think it would be fine without changes.