I'm looking for a new book to read--Does anyone have a favorite food/cooking-related memoir or novel?

asked by Alyssa 6 months ago

MMH
MMH

Chocolat
A Year in Provence
Like Water for Chocolate
Julie and Julia

MMH
MMH

All good movies too...

Most anything by M.F.K. Fisher
If you want the earlier explorations of food knowldge, France, her two marriages:
Art of Eating
Gastronomical Me
With Bold Knife and Fork
Serve It Forth
Alphabet for Gourmets

Later, more reflective, including her early & late life in California, and more about French cities
As They Were
A Considerable Town (Marseilles)
Map of Another Town (Aix)
Last House

dkv
dkv

I’m jusg about to start “Truffle Boy,” it was also recommended on this site!

EmilyNunn

My book, The Comfort Food Diaries,” a Food52 recommended new book of 2017 https://food52.com/blog...

C Sangueza

I went through a period of reading a lot of food books and enjoyed all of the following:
The Tenth Muse (My Life in Food) by Judith Jones
Climbing the Mango Trees by Madhur Jaffrey
Amacord by Marcella Hazen
Cooking for Mr. Latte by Amanda Hesser
Coming Home to Eat by Gary Paul Nabhan
Any of several books by Ruth Reichl

BakerBren

"The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food" by Dan Barber is a surprisingly good book

I adore Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman culinary series. Corinna Chapman is a Melbourne-based bread baker. Filled with great characters, looks of food references, a few recipes, and almost no gory deaths. Kerry Greenwood also writes the Phryne Fisher mysteries that the tv series is based on.

Exbruxelles

"The Reporter's Kitchen," by Jane Kramer is some of the best food writing there is. You can't go wrong with MFK Fisher or Elizabeth David. I just finished and really liked "Unforgettable," by Emily Thelin. It's a sort-of biography of Paula Wolfert.

scruz

a lot offbeat, but i loved "heartburn." made the peach pie but i didn't have great success, but it tasted good.

“Clementine in the Kitchen,” by Samuel Chamberlain.
I’ll suggest a few more over the weekend, time permitting. ;o)

Here's some food related fiction books I've read and enjoyed:

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Angelina's Bachelors: A Novel with Food*
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

*I really enjoyed this one.

If you like mysteries, Rex Stout's "Too Many Cooks" was a great one- written in the 40's, some of the dialogue and social attitudes can be a bit grating, but Archie's observations on the culinary crowd are always entertaining, and as pure mystery it's one of Stout's best.

Oops- actually, it was published in 1938.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Just finishing “The Repoter’s Kitchen” by Jane Kramer. Beautifully written, lots of food, and lots to think about. She has reported on many topics and lived all over the world.

scruz

another one, by a bay area indian novelist, "the mistress of spices." more about spices and the magical properties but a very enjoyable read.

Shannon

Kitchen Daughter
By Jael McHenry

cookbookchick

I just finished Amy Thielen’s memoir, Give a Girl a Knife. Such fine writing! I didn’t want it to end. Another fun food-related read is The Mother-in-Law Cure by Katherine Wilson, about her life in Italy after marrying an Italian. Lots of food lore in this one!