IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

Who has a simple savory crust recipe that includes parmesan cheese, cayenne and nutmeg in the crust?

The wonderful book "Cookwise" by Shirley O. Corriher has some wonderful pie crust recipes that include 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in the crust. And the recipes are complicated for me. I tried Mark Bittman's Generous Pie Shell recipe and included Corriher's idea but it
isn't quite it. Any ideas?

asked by SKK over 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I would probably just add the cayenne and nutmeg to my normal crust recipe, reduce or eliminate the sugar, and replace 1/3 cup flour with parmesan. I use the Cook's Illustrated foolproof pie dough, as I find it easy to work with and it turns out well. It calls for a combination of water and vodka for moisture, and is wetter and more pliant than most crust recipes I've used before. It does use a food processor so that may be a problem.
http://www.cooksillustrated...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Brilliant, hardlikearmour, thank you!

I make a 3-2-1- pie dough. (3 part flour-2 parts fat-1 part water) after I mix into dough I fold in cheeses and flavorings for savory uses (trying to not work the dough too much). Add your cayenne and nutmeg and cheese to it. (dont forget a pinch of salt).