🔕 🔔

The recipe calls for 1 cup of bourbon what amount of bourbon extract would I use to replace the alcohol?

Making for a Kentucky Derby party where there will be children and some adults who do not drink alcohol.

asked by Pam 8 days ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

What recipe or type of dish are you replacing bourbon in? It's not linked to your question.

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

This might be an inquiry better suited to the product manufacturer.

For example, this bourbon extract:

https://www.apexflavors...

states that 1 teaspoon of extract provides the equivalent taste as 5 ounces of bourbon. Thus, for your purposes, you'd want to use about 1.5 teaspoons of this particular product for your intended use.

I'm guessing that the strength of these extracts vary a bit between manufacturers which is why you should consider directing your question to the manufacturer of your specific product.

Best of luck.

Two cautions.
If the liquid volume of the bourbon is also important, replace it with water, fruit juice or broth - depending on recipe.
If you have guests with alcohol addiction or allergy , know that many or most extracts contain alcohol.

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

FYI for those asking what the dish is, I received an email from Pam saying that it's a recipe for mint julep cupcakes.

With this piece of critical information, I suggest the original poster replace the missing quantity of bourbon with another liquid, since baked goods are often sensitive to hydration levels.

I suggest using water since that's what bourbon (or any distilled spirit) mostly is anyhow.

Adding another liquid would change the flavor profile, not something one would want to do with mint julep cupcakes.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

well- Bourbon is typically 40% alcohol, a bit much to ignore.