A question about a recipe: Tagliarini with Asparagus and Herbs

50efbf25 c1d2 4640 aa8b dd64d8e1636f  2018 0327 tagliarini asparagus herbs 3x2 julia gartland 207

I have a question about the recipe "Tagliarini with Asparagus and Herbs" from Food52. How fine should the asparagus be cut? The picture looks to have intact tips but the instructions to cut the asparagus with the herbs imply smaller. Also, are the herbs meant to be cooked with the asparagus? It indicates to cut them all together but I usually do not cook soft herbs that long. Thanks!

asked by Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus 8 months ago

Hana Asbrink
Hana Asbrink

Senior Lifestyle Editor

Hi Emily! You can cut the asparagus to whatever size you prefer: Our test kitchen cut them into small pieces, but I found out during my interview with the chef that she likes hers almost as thin as the pasta (so that the asparagus and the herbs almost blend together). Yes, asparagus and herbs are meant to be cooked together! It all comes together pretty quickly w/o detriment to the herbs. If you prefer your herbs more fresh, you can always throw them in towards the end. Either way, hope you enjoy this dish. :)