A question about a recipe: Nugs & Tots

5caa22d4 075f 465d 8593 a706d6b94c91  2018 0403 nugs and tots 3x2 james ransom 211

I have a question about the recipe "Nugs & Tots" from Emma Laperruque. Can your beer battered nuggets be frozen

asked by lina 8 months ago

In my experience, I best enjoy fried food that is freshly fried from fresh ingredients, which includes freshly prepared fry batter. The coating tends to get a more leadened feel once the flour starts absorbing liquid.

Nowhere is this more evident than in tempura from Japan, but I feel that this is witnessed in pretty much all fried foods. Fresh is the best.

That said, day-old fried food might be acceptable for your table and guests.

Your call.

Best of luck.

lina

Thank you

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Lina—I haven't tried that myself but wouldn't recommend it. Fried food is usually best eaten right away.

Also, you may be thinking of commercial frozen raw battered food, which is prepared under different conditions than homemade food. And often ok.
Neither commercial nor homemade battered fried food freezes well.