no Sherry in the house!

black bean soup, vegetarian style, lots of spices oregano, cumin, recipe calls for dry sherry-fino, none in ouse what can i use? a good Brandy? or B & B? I have syrah for wine, some sort of vinegar?

asked by sheredel over 7 years ago

cooks4fun

I'd go with the Brandy, but cut back a tad on the amount.

Blissful Baker

You can certainly sub the syrah or the brandy. Here are some other traditional subs for sherry:
- orange juice + a little bit of vanilla
- diluted apple cider vinegar + a little bit of sugar

healthierkitchen

I might use a little beer.

Peanut

I wonder if Marsala would work? I think I'd go with a splash of red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar to tame it. Lots of black bean recipes include a splash of vinegar, to brighten them up.

student epicure

this is rather unconventional, but i like to add balsamic vinegar & soy sauce to my black beans to add some extra depth (and umami!). i was skeptical at first, but have been a convert since i tried it. my boyfriend is cuban and even he likes this twist!