A question about a recipe: Sharon's Apple Cake

F5755256 6e9b 47a0 8e4d 71ed8d26d2bf  img 2128

seems like too much sugar, and too long to bake

asked by lanny about 7 years ago

Peanut

My best-in-the-world, sure to be award-winning if there's a contest for it, recipe for carrot cake also calls for 2 cups of sugar and 4 eggs; although it has a little more oil and a little less flour. And grated carrots. Point is, I don't think 2 cups of sugar will be too much -- I'd expect this cake to be moist and sweet like a carrot cake. My recipe bakes for an hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees, so I'd say just keep an eye on it and make sure to check it at the hour mark if not before.

student epicure

i personally don't like very sweet desserts, so i usually reduce the sugar in most recipes for baked goods. if you're concerned about the sugar and don't have much of a sweet tooth, i think you'd be fine reducing the sugar (at least to 1 1/2 c). as for the baking time, i agree with peanut to keep an eye on the cake, testing it with a toothpick after 45 min.