I am looking for a good quality soy sauce. My go to for decades was Kimlan Super Special soy sauce. It seems they no longer make it. Any ideas?

asked by Mark Kozlowski about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

For the past several years, I have been buying excellent Shoda organic soy sauce from Nijiya, a local chain of Japanese grocery stores here in the SF Bay Area.

Shoda Shoyu has been brewing soy sauce for 145 years and still do their primary production at the company's headquarters in the Gunma Prefecture.

I see one third-party vendor selling this soy sauce online via Amazon.com, but at $25.08, it is way overpriced. I don't recall the price I am paying, but it is probably around $5 for a 500ml bottle.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find this at a bricks-and-mortar store in your neighborhood.

At least in the SF Bay Area, we have access to a large number of imported soy sauces that may not have wide North American mainstream distribution. There are plenty of other brands to choose from and I definitely have tried only a few.

Best of luck.

added about 1 month ago

Here is a photo of the soy sauce I've been buying.

added about 1 month ago

I like Pearl River Bridge Superior Light Soy Sauce, which you can find in most Asian markets.

Mark Kozlowski
added about 1 month ago

Thanks HalfPint. Kimlan Super Special was a very dark, thick and richly flavoured sauce. I used it in marinades, vegetarian chili and soy chicken. I will check out the Pearl River Dark sauce (assuming they have one).

added about 1 month ago

@Mark Kozlowski, Pearl River Bridge does have a dark soy sauce. I haven't used it, but I've had good experience with this brand.