🔕 🔔

Using Palacios Chorizo in Amanda's Shrimp and Chorizo's Sandwich.

Amanda. Anyone who uses Palacios Chorizo. I have not tried cutting the Chorizo into cubes yet, but I have made thin slices to munch on. Do you ever just chew and chew and chew a piece of the chorizo, and it just doesn't want to give up easily and go down your throat? I quite often chew and chew to get the great flavor, but then I end up havin to spit the chunk out. I seem to remember reading somewhere that some folks simmer the chorizo in water before using. Would that make it easier to chew? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

asked by bella s.f. over 6 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

It isn't you, it is the quality of the product. You should not have to soften it in water or cook it, if you do, it is not worth buying. Better quality chorizo will eat very nicely. Despana, in NYC, has a very nice chorizo. Also try Tienda online, if you live outside of NYC. The problem with chorizo imported into the USA is the source of the pork they use . . it has to be slaughtered in an USDA approved plant, which means most the pork will be Danish, not Spanish Iberico. . . .that includes the Serrano hams brought here. Most, not all, are made from Danish pork.

Usuba is exactly right on this. Palacios is one of the few brands approved for import from Spain. However most restaurants and specialty shops turn to La Espanola, which has a plant in Harbor City, CA. Their business is founded on regional Spanish sausages made here. If you go to a source like Tienda or Spanish Table the odds are it was made in that plant. "Chorizo" covers a multitude of sausage types. You might want to go with a semi-cured such as their Bilbao.

What a drag! I always bring meat products back from my travels. Definite down-side to ever moving back to America!

Spanish-style chorizo shouldn't need a damn thing before you eat it. Mind, some of the larger ones can have a thick casing. Did you peel the casing off before eating?

I used the brand that Amanda said that she uses for that recipe. I figured that that was a seal of approval. There is not much of a casing. Tried taking it off, but that did not make a difference. However, I just tried cutting it into a 1/8th " cube, like Amanda does for the salad, and that made a difference. I guess it breaks up whatever is tough when it is sliced. I had thought that a paper thin slice would be nice. It wasn't with this.