A question about a recipe: Blueberry Lemon Muffins

4af9eb4e 53c2 450d b0b8 851de1b4ca33  blueberry muffins

I have a question about the recipe "Blueberry Lemon Muffins " from Erin McDowell. When using frozen blueberries can they be used frozen or must they be defrosted?

asked by Emelkay 3 months ago

Ttrockwood

Definitely add them still frozen! Otherwise they turn all the batter of the muffin an odd blue color... just add them in frozen and stir minimally

Agree with Ttrockwood- like most fruit, when blueberries freeze a lot of the cells burst and you get a soupy mess when they thaw. Baking with them frozen isn't ideal- they will produce small cold spots while baking and will still release a good deal of moisture when they bake, but these aren't really serious problems and using them frozen is much preferred.

grandrivergirl

Use them frozen for sure, but you might want to bake an extra minute or so to compensate for the cold start.

Emelkay

Thank you all for your replies. I used the frozen berries as suggested and the muffins turned out great.