A question about a recipe: Cherry-Hazelnut (Yeast) Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Cherry-Hazelnut (Yeast) Bread" from fiveandspice. Has anyone every baked this using bread pans? I have a dutch oven, I just want the sandwich bread shape for ease of toasting :p

30669e87 2fea 437c 851c 11a415efa44e  hazelnut cherry bread 3
Recipe question for: Cherry-Hazelnut (Yeast) Bread

1 Comment

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. September 8, 2018

You know, I've wondered about shaping lean(ish) doughs in loaf pans since I started baking bread, but never tried it. If you do try this, please report back, I'd love to know how it works.

If you're hesitant to try the bread pan, maybe shape into a batard or similar?

Catherine
Catherine September 8, 2018

I've been sizing up some similar style breads in bread pans, so I think I am going to try it tomorrow once the sponge is ready to go. I'm hoping that worst case scenario, it won't be super crusty on top. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Catherine
Catherine September 9, 2018

So it worked out really well in the end! The only thing I did different to the bread itself was use maple syrup instead of honey (so I can give some to my under-one year old).

I did the second rise in the bread pans and put a cast iron pot on the lowest rack in the oven while I did the preheat. I baked as directed, throwing ice cubes in the pot to create steam because I read that it helps with the rise, and I put a bit of butter on the top when I took them out to soften the crust for the older kids. I added a picture for you so you can see how it turned out :)

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. September 9, 2018

It looks delicious! You did the second rise in bread pans, but baked free-standing in a dutch oven?

Catherine
Catherine September 10, 2018

The bake was done in the bread pans. I used the cast iron pot in the oven to toss some ice in so that the bread would benefit from steam in the oven for the rise.

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. September 10, 2018

Oh I get it. Thanks for reporting back! I'm glad it worked, I'd be willing to bake normally free standing loaves in bread pans in the future.