Replacement for liquid whey in a soup recipe, what to use?

I'm making a pumpkin apple soup recipe from a beloved restaurant that is incredibly vague. It calls for one cup of whey. I don't have any, and I strained plain yogurt to produce about 2 tablespoons of whey. What would be a reasonable substitute for liquid whey? Stock/broth?

asked by Jessica about 1 month ago

Ttrockwood
added about 1 month ago

I would just swap in a good veg stock, they whey is an odd ingredient here. If you don’t have homemade stock the brand Better than Bullion is excellent, significantly better tasting than anything from a can or box

Jessica
added about 1 month ago

Thanks for your reply. I ended up using stock in the end, and it still turned out well, although I wonder what all whey would have tasted like!

Jk Grence
added about 1 month ago

An easy way to get your hands on a bunch of whey is to make your own ricotta cheese. It’s surprisingly simple, and how-to guides abound online. Once you’ve had homemade, you’ll probably never buy the stuff in the supermarket fridge case again.