A question about a recipe: Crispy Chickpea Waffles With Herby Israeli Salad & Harissa Tahini Sauce

5c376414 c7a7 4c51 8f70 3b322f2a3a10  2018 0914 falafel waffles 3x2 jenny huang 32980

I have a question about the recipe "Crispy Chickpea Waffles With Herby Israeli Salad & Harissa Tahini Sauce" from Emma Laperruque. Would it be possible to get a weight or volume measurement for canned chickpeas in this recipe?

asked by Sarah 13 days ago

Ttrockwood

The chickpeas are dry- not canned. 8oz weight dry before soaking overnight.

Sarah - If I understand your question, you want to convert the dried chickpea measure given in the recipe to ones that are already cooked (commercially, in a can, or at home).
To do this, use charts found either in cookbooks or on the web. For example:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/dried-bean-conversions-and-measurements-1388322

Sarah

Yes, Nancy, that was the point exactly. Thank you for the link.

So...

1/2 pound dried chickpeas

should equal about

1 cup of dried beans (2 cups of dried beans = 1 pound of dried beans)

and a "heaping 1/2 cup" of dried beans = one 15-ounce can of beans

which means two 15-ounce cans o' beans should be what this recipe calls for.

I was just hoping to avoid doing separate approximate calculations from several sites, but at least the above all comes from the same place.

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Sarah! I actually wouldn't recommend using canned chickpeas. Because they're fully cooked, they're fairly different from the soaked—but still raw—dried chickpeas that the recipe was tested with.

Sarah

Thanks, Emma! That's really interesting. I usually buy dried anyway, but I have a couple of cans. I'll leave the cans for another recipe.