A question about a recipe: Autumn Apple and Pumpkin Galette

513e39b3 4f53 4432 973a 88b366fed232  2013 1119 finalist apple pumpkin galette 520

I have a question about the recipe "Autumn Apple and Pumpkin Galette" from A Local Choice. I don’t have a food processor or pastry blender. Could I just use a regular hand beater or my hands?

asked by Alyssa about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

I learned using two forks.
Here's a quick recap of alternative methods.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-to-use-if-you-dont-have-a-pastry-cutter-4017860

Alyssa
added about 1 month ago

thank you!

added about 1 month ago

Yes, hands work fine. Very old school.

I gave up baking a long time ago so I don't really have any baking equipment like a pastry blender. I just use my hands when I need to make pie dough.

Best to cut the butter into small pieces then stick them back into the fridge to get them hard again.

Work quickly so the butter doesn't melt and do not overwork the dough.

Best of luck.

Alyssa
added about 1 month ago

Excellent, thanks!

added about 1 month ago

Absolutely, no machines required. I often use two knives. The key thing is to get the pea-sized bits and to add very icy-cold water in very small amounts, say a teaspoon at a time, until the dough holds together. The recipe doesn't specify it, but it usually helps a lot to then wrap your dough plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum to a few hours, before rolling it out. Bon appetit!

Alyssa
added about 1 month ago

Sounds good, thank you!