If I use dried beans as pie weights and put them in the oven, can I save the beans and cook them later for eating?

Not sure if putting them in the oven would affect them in some way?

asked by VanessaS over 7 years ago

My Pantry Shelf

I'm going to jump in there and say don't eat them. I have a jar of beans that I use for baking. After they have been baked, I return them to the jar for the next time I need baking beans. I have not tried to bake with them, but they look a bit toasted and I'm guessing they might not soften up properly.

No. Use foil and coins, they have more weight and you can use them again and again.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I agree with pantry shelf. You can continue to bake with them multiple times.

ChefDaddy

I don't use any weights. I dock.

I'm with Sam1148 - pennies work great, transfer the heat better than beans, and are reusable. Don't eat the beans after you use them as pie weights

Helen's All Night Diner

I have one jar of dried beans that are dedicated pie weights. After baking once, I doubt you would want to eat them since they wouldn't rehydrate & cook properly.

Of course ceramic pie weights are not expensive and will last longer than beans.