Mashed potatoes

What else could I do to make my mashed potatoes better? I heat the milk and the butter. I use a ricer for the potatoes... anything else?

asked by JonTrz 20 days ago

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato

Suzanne is the Editor-in-Chief of Food52.

What a fun question—there are oh-so many ways to make mashed potatoes sing. If you want to stick to classic ingredients, you might experiment with a new technique, like the one outlined here: https://food52.com/blog...
It's pretty simple, but our resident Genius Kristen Miglore gave it a thumbs-up, and I'd take any recommendation from her seriously!
And then of course there are all the delicious add-ins to consider: chives, sour cream, cheese, bacon, caramelized onions...we once did a recipe contest that might inspire you: https://food52.com/contests...
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Josh Cohen
Josh Cohen

Food52 Test Kitchen Chef

When you heat the milk, you can add a smashed clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme and a bay leaf. Strain these out before adding the milk to your mashed potatoes, and you'll add some nice subtle flavor.

I've also used brown butter instead of regular melted butter, and that was delicious. And one year I added little bits of seared kielbasa to the mashed potatoes.

Leith Devine
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

I add a little cream cheese and, I know it sounds a little weird, garlic salt.