🔕 🔔

Turkey cook time

Google is giving me conflicting answers. I have a 20.25lb turkey currently sitting in a wet brine. How long should it be in the oven? What is the ideal internal temperature so I know it's done? Aside from drying it well before roasting, any tips on how to get super crispy skin?

asked by Veronica Paz 10 months ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hi Victoria, here's an article with temp and time guidelines for cooking: https://food52.com/blog.... Within it, one of our community members says this about internal temperatures: "The targets after resting are 165° F for breast and 175° F for the thigh. If you're using a calibrated instant-read thermometer, you can pull the bird at 160° F. If you're using a 'meat' thermometer, pull it at 165° F."

And a few options for perfect skin here! https://food52.com/blog...

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Always check in the thickest part of the meat and in a few spots with the thermometer. i usally turn the turkey once because the back of my oven is hotter. Remember to let it at least 20 minutes before carving. the hot gravy will warm the turkey when you serve it. A great gravy is the unsung hero. Good Luck!

Df2d539f 4b79 4684 9d1b 726bb830d217  bitt portrait web
Mark Bittman

Mark is the author of over a dozen books, including his most recent, How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking.

I'm sure the F52 blog on this is good, but my 2¢: cook slowly (325) until the breast measures about 150 - that size bird will probably be nicely browned by then. If it's not, crank the oven to 400 or even a little higher. Pull it when the thigh is 165. (I know this is counter-guidelines but after it rests it will be hot enough.)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Hi Mark - Chops here - big fan! Happy Thanksgiving to you!