Turkey cook time

Google is giving me conflicting answers. I have a 20.25lb turkey currently sitting in a wet brine. How long should it be in the oven? What is the ideal internal temperature so I know it's done? Aside from drying it well before roasting, any tips on how to get super crispy skin?

asked by Veronica Paz over 1 year ago

Community Editor at Food52

Hi Victoria, here's an article with temp and time guidelines for cooking: https://food52.com/blog.... Within it, one of our community members says this about internal temperatures: "The targets after resting are 165° F for breast and 175° F for the thigh. If you're using a calibrated instant-read thermometer, you can pull the bird at 160° F. If you're using a 'meat' thermometer, pull it at 165° F."

Community Editor at Food52

And a few options for perfect skin here! https://food52.com/blog...

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Always check in the thickest part of the meat and in a few spots with the thermometer. i usally turn the turkey once because the back of my oven is hotter. Remember to let it at least 20 minutes before carving. the hot gravy will warm the turkey when you serve it. A great gravy is the unsung hero. Good Luck!

Mark Bittman
Mark Bittman

Mark is the author of over a dozen books, including his most recent, How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking.

I'm sure the F52 blog on this is good, but my 2¢: cook slowly (325) until the breast measures about 150 - that size bird will probably be nicely browned by then. If it's not, crank the oven to 400 or even a little higher. Pull it when the thigh is 165. (I know this is counter-guidelines but after it rests it will be hot enough.)

Hi Mark - Chops here - big fan! Happy Thanksgiving to you!