can you add vanilla extract to finished chocolate chip cookie dough?

I ran out of vanilla extract and put the dough in the refrigerator until I can go to the store to get more vanilla extract. The dough is complete, but I feel it needs vanilla extract. Can I add it after the fact?

• Posted by: Cory
  • November 30, 2018

Nancy November 30, 2018

Yes you could add the vanilla but I'm worried about dispersal in the dough.
If your recipe calls for 1 tsp, maybe divide the dough in 4, add and work in 1/4 tsp to each portion. Then chill or let sit, shape cookies & bake.
Or put it in an icing & add that to finished cookies. Not traditional but probably tasty.

BerryBaby November 30, 2018

I've left out vanilla in cookies and barely noticed the difference in flavor.
Nancy's response is the one I'd follow. BB🎄

Smaug November 30, 2018

I don't think you could mix it in without overworking the dough- probably better to let it go. As a desperate measure, you could make a glaze with powdered sugar and vanilla (and maybe a little water), but I wouldn't.

Smaug November 30, 2018

Latest minor glitch on the F52 webswite- questions on the home page are listed as 0 replies, however many they may have-thus the redundant answer.

creamtea November 30, 2018

I would leave it out. Also, leaving it in the fridge over a night or two, if your schedule allows, will improve and deepen the flavor (the New York Times ran an article about this a couple of years ago). You may find you do not miss the vanilla this time.