A question about a recipe: Filet Mignon With Perfect Roasted Potatoes

Fe89705a 559f 441c a8b3 8e2d076c92dd  2018 1109 filet mignon with perfect roast potatoes 3x2 rocky luten 013

I have a question about the recipe "Filet Mignon With Perfect Roasted Potatoes" from Eric Kim. How long do you boil the potatoes? Do you put olive oil in the cast iron pan or just the olive oil coated filet?

asked by Maureen 11 days ago

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

GREAT question. So you're just bringing the pot of water to a boil, then immediately turning it off. Barely boiling it, in other words (this makes a huge difference in the potato's texture at the end).

As for the olive oil? None in the pan, just on the meat itself. I like to do this for a couple reasons: 1) Filet mignon is so small that it really doesn't need much oil, and when the meat is oiled vs. the pan, then there's just the right amount of fat to cook it; also 2) less oil splatter this way, I find.

Let me know how it goes, Maureen! Thanks for reading.

E