What's your favorite banana dessert?

I am making up a new dessert this week and this is my homework. I don't need recipes, just opinions :)

Not banana bread or banana pudding. I am thinking more decadent.

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy March 17, 2011

Banana 's foster, banana cream pie, banana split, banana pudding. Have fun!

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve March 17, 2011

Banana Chocolate cinnamon strussel cake is amazing. It is my husbands favorite cake of all time. Let me know if you want the recipe

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 March 17, 2011

I'm with ChefDaddy on banana cream pie. Another favorite was a recipe from Martha Stewart Living at least 15 years ago. It was a banana layer cake with chocolate, bananas and rum whipped cream between the layers. Can't remember what the icing was - may have been more rum cream. Anyway, it was THE BEST banana dessert I've ever had.

Voted the Best Reply!

pauljoseph
pauljoseph March 17, 2011

Banana in golden syrup
Cinamon 1 '' 2
Cloves 4
Sugar 1tbsp
Water 1cup
Lime ½
Ripe Yellow Banana 19Cut in Cubes)

Method

1 Caramelize the sugar and add Cinnamon ,cloves water and the lemon juice .Boil

2 Add the banana pieces to the boiling syrup; cook till done, and the syrup is rather thick and sticky.
4 May be served with whipped cream ,pancake or ice creame

betteirene
betteirene March 17, 2011

Oh, pauljoseph, that looks divine! I think I would like it on oatmeal or with yogurt.

Filipinos have a dessert called Turon, or banana lumpia. It's basically a deep-fried banana-filled egg roll. You can use egg roll (won ton) skins, but lumpia wrappers made from rice paper are crisper and are a better contrast to the creamy hot banana.

You could also roll a chunk of banana in a phyllo sheet brushed with butter and sprinkled with orange flower water and cinnamon sugar, then bake it--kind of like a banana baklava.

I love hot fudge over vanilla ice cream with bananas, topped with real whipped cream and a crunchy maraschino cherry.

Pain perdu is served as a dessert over there, not as breakfast as it is here. I love it stuffed with banana slices.

And chocolate-covered frozen bananas on a stick, too.

Hummusit
Hummusit March 17, 2011

umm... not so decadent maybe, but still my favorite: grilled bananas. Slit a banana, scatter a little cinnamon and sugar, close it up, and put it on the grill after the meat is finished. scoop out with a spoon.

littleknitter
littleknitter March 17, 2011

Mmmm....bananas foster and banana cream pie are my faves! I also once had fried bananas that had been wrapped in filo dough and deep fried, then drizzled with chocolate, nuts, and a dusting of powdered sugar.

student epicure
student epicure March 17, 2011

banana wontons with caramel sauce. it's a very old recipe from bon appetit. the wontons are filled with dark chocolate and bananas, then fried crisp. you serve them with a drizzle of caramel sauce and dust with five spice powder. it's a total show-stopper!

kjrmcclain
kjrmcclain March 17, 2011

I have to go with Bananas Foster...it may not be the BEST banana dessert, but if you add in the entertainment of the flambe, it is hard to beat. I do it outside on the grill at night in the waning days of summer. This is not because I watched my mother ignite our kitchen once during preparation, but because you can be a bit more liberal with the flavorful accelerants outside.

mrslarkin March 17, 2011

thirschfeld's banana cream pie is the bomb. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

But sometimes, when you're looking for instant gratification, a bowl of sliced banana, hershey's syrup and whipped cream hits the spot.

cheese1227
cheese1227 March 17, 2011

I recently saw somewhere a banana tarte tatin that looks fabulous. The bananas were sliced in about 2-inch pieces so they all stood up like little caramelized soldiers on top of the pastry.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 17, 2011

I love ice cream with broiled bananas. one of my favorite desserts to serve up in summertime:
Slit the peeled bananas (ideally the ones where the peel has a few brown spots) lengthwise into two. Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar & broil for 2-3 minutes till the sugar caramelizes. Remove, cool & serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

ChefJune March 17, 2011

Bananas Foster. OR, Cinnamon Swirl French Toast Stuffed with Caramelized Bananas.

Sally Mc
Sally Mc March 17, 2011

Bananas foster bread pudding, 2 great worlds colide!

amysarah March 18, 2011

So many great banana possibilities.

When my kids were growing up, I often used to make what they called 'Banana Thing.' Basically when I'd bought too many bananas to be eaten out of hand, and everyone was sick of the usual banana bread recycling strategy, Banana Thing happened. Super easy (like a pared down Bananas Foster, I suppose): just slice a couple of bananas, lightly brown in a good amount of butter (i.e., more than is strictly speaking necessary) - keep flame high enough that banana slices sear, instead of melt into the butter. Then add a couple heaping tablespoons of brown sugar and - depending on your mood - a squeeze of lemon juice and/or a shot of bourbon, brandy or rum, or even just a smidge of vanilla. When everything is melted together and coats the banana slices, spoon it over good vanilla or coffee ice cream.That's it. Quick last minute dessert and surprisingly decadent.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric March 18, 2011

Thanks, everyone! @kjrmcclain It is interesting that you mention flambe considering this coming week's recipe contest! I can't believe they took my suggestion. So excited to see what everyone enters...you definitely should ;) I love the outdoor cooking angle.

Peanut
Peanut March 21, 2011

Banoffee pie! Graham cracker crust (with or without a pinch of ginger or cinnamon) filled with creamy toffee/dulce de leche (boil an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk for three hours - wait until its cool before you open it!), topped with sliced bananas, whipped cream, and perhaps some shavings of dark chocolate. It's heavenly.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice March 21, 2011

It might also be amazing to do a trifle version of banoffee pie, with layers of cake, dulce de leche, (caramelized?) bananas, and whipped cream (maybe with some rum in it) and dark chocolate curls all over the top.