A question about a recipe: Alon Shaya's Whole Roasted Cauliflower and Whipped Goat Cheese

I have a question about the recipe "Alon Shaya's Whole Roasted Cauliflower and Whipped Goat Cheese" from Genius Recipes. Is substituting something non-alcoholic for the wine a deal-breaker for this recipe? If not, any suggestions for a substitution? Thanks!

• Posted by: Annie
  • January 13, 2019

Nancy January 13, 2019

Not sure what deal-breaker definition is for you.
If there were only a little wine in a recipe, leaving it out or replacing it would not make much difference.
Here, the cooking in wine-based liquid is a major contributor to the dish.
Yes you can replace the wine, but/and that will make a different dish, with 1 of these:
•white grape or peach juice, laced with a tablespoon of lemon juice or cider vinegar.
• pomegranate juice, which will also change the color.
• broth, which gives a salty, savory taste.
• water, gives moisture only.
If these options aren't to taste look for other roast cauliflower recipes without wine.

Annie
Annie January 13, 2019

Thanks for such a detailed reply- appreciated!

Kristen Miglore January 13, 2019

Not a deal-breaker! Other commenters on the recipe have subbed in more broth (or a combination of broth and water) with a splash of lemon juice or vinegar for acidity.

Annie
Annie January 13, 2019

Thanks for getting back!