A question about a recipe: Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Tart

I have a question about the recipe "Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Tart" from Erin McDowell. Do you have to blind bake the crust first? And if so, do you need to use pie weights?

• Posted by: Alyssa
  • January 13, 2019

Nancy January 13, 2019

On top of any plain starch like white potato, rice, quinoa, toast.
Maybe also works on some more flavorful ones like parsnip, squash, sweet potato. But will need experimenting and adjusting tastes.
Maybe recipe author will have some more ideas.

Nancy January 13, 2019

PS oops...answered other question about that recipe in wrong space.

Alyssa
Alyssa January 14, 2019

No worries, good ideas, thanks!

BakerRB
BakerRB January 13, 2019

Yes, you should blind bake the crust so it doen't end up soggy and uncooked. If you don't have pie weights you can fill the parchment or foil lining with dried beans or rice to fill the parchment or foil lining (won't be able to cook them as food afterwrd) or sugar (will be able to use it afterwards even if it turns a light cream or tan color).

Alyssa
Alyssa January 14, 2019

Thanks!

soupcon
soupcon January 13, 2019

Yes you need to blind bake the tart shell first as the filling + crust are only baked for 17 to 20 minutes which is not enough to cook the crust/shell properly. No you do not need pie weights as you can use white sugar as the weight as long as you line the tart shell with parchment paper before adding the sugar.

Alyssa
Alyssa January 14, 2019

Thanks for the info!