Question about the word short, in foods (there is a point to this, I promise).

A friend wants to throw a party for the Shorty Awards (http://bit.ly/hqngTt) and I was thinking the food theme could be foods containing the word "short," like short ribs and shortcake. Can you think of any others? Short-order food? Thanks, in advance!

littleknitter

Foods that have a "short" texture (using the archaic form of the word meaning crumbly), so any kind of shortbread, or pastry with shortening.

MaryMaryCulinary

shortbread?
shortnin' bread?

Shortcrust dough

Short grain rice

iuzzini

breve beverages? breve espressos.to accompany your short doughs?

Apparently, Shorty Tang aka 'The Sesame Noodle King' of Chinatown, was believed to have come up with the iconic New York version of that recipe...so, Shorty Tang's Sesame Noodles?

http://dinersjournal.blogs...

short pasta shapes

ellenl

Is there a drink that's short something?

Well, I just submitted a recipe for culottes on fire, and culottes of course are short pants...

Too funny, pierino -- thanks. And thanks everyone for the terrific ideas. Going to be a fun party!

TiggyBee

hey, I'm all for anything that improves my short term memory!!! culottes? I may dig them out. *smiles*

Let's not forget strawberry (or any other berry) shortcake. (That would be in the category of "short" pastries, meaning a lot of fat.) ;o)

And short grain rice would qualify too, wouldn't it?

TiggyBee

I almost forgot about shrimp, they're short!!

Spotted Dick?

/I'm sorry..so, sorry.

Oops, didn't read the question all the way through. Sorry about that first suggestion. ;o)

vvvanessa

short stack (as in pancakes or crêpes).

betteirene

Shrimp! TiggyBee, that's so funny! I was going to suggest the comparatively unfunny petits fours.

One of my daughters-in-law claims to be 5"2" but no one believes her. She was eating something I made, and a son (not her husband) suddenly yelled, "Trina! Don't eat that!" so she dropped it like it was poison or something, and Andy said, "Mom put Crisco in it. It's shortening."

pauljoseph

Spiced Short Rib

Eydie Desser

How about "short order cook" dishes

How about Lobster Randy Newburg (Newman)

Danny Devito has his own brand of limoncello.
http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/foodchain/2010/02/12/danny-devito-brings-limoncello-to-woodbridge-tomorrow/

usuba dashi

A short ingredient list . . sometimes less is more!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

In Pennsylvania we have a humble little 6" sandwich called at "Shorti."

http://www.wawa.com/wawaweb/Hoagies.aspx