A question about a recipe: Helen Getz’s Napa Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

85b4e0d0 6f34 4461 946f 4361bc4db71c  2018 0108 napa cabbage hot bacon dressing 3x2 rocky luten 019

I live in Europe (in London), and I'd love to make this recipe, as it sounds wonderful. However, I can't seem to find 'nappa cabbage' here- what would be a good replacement, do you think?

asked by Cassandra2011 over 7 years ago

littleknitter

You can probably use regular green cabbage or savoy cabbage instead - it'll take a little longer to cook, but is a pretty close substitute.

littleknitter

P.S. Given the choice between cabbage and savoy cabbage, I'd go with the Savoy it you can get it.

Cassandra2011

Many thanks, I can certainly get hold of Savoy cabbage here so will give it a go!

Rhonda35

I think it's called "Chinese" cabbage in the UK, if I remember correctly. Baby bok choy would work, as would escarole.

Savoy cabbage would work well, but so would plain, everyday cabbage. If you use regular cabbage, slice it much more finely than that in the recipe's photo. You could also use dandelion greens, escarole, frisee, or even romaine. My grandmother made a similar dressing that she used on lettuce as well as cabbage.

Droplet

You could also use the Dutch pointed cabbage. It has a very distinct pointed edge on one end and the leaves are less compact than traditional cabbage.

That would also be a good cabbage to use--do the Dutch have a version, too? It is one of the German passengers on the Slow Food Ark and its origins go back to the 1500s and Denkendorf Abbey, not too far from Stuttgart.

Jan Weber

Look for "Chinese leaf" or "Chinese cabbage". It's also called "Hakusai" in Japanese.