Instructions for a stove top pressure cooker?

I'm not sure how instant pots compare to stove top exactly, so the setting the cook time for 0 minutes is confusing, as with stove top you set a time and then it starts once the pot is up to pressure. Can anyone translate this?

• Posted by: erinrae
  • January 16, 2020
  • 1 Comment

1 Comment

Lori T. January 16, 2020
Although I'm an Instant Pot fan, there are some recipes where it isn't necessary. This, in my opinion, is one of those. The 1 minute pressure time is used for frozen spinach, and the 0 time is for fresh. Essentially, if you are using fresh spinach, you won't need to pressure cook it at all. That's how I'd interpret the 0 minute direction. Spinach cooks very quickly, though obviously frozen would need a bit more heat. I would simply thaw the frozen product if I could not use fresh. The residual heat should be enough to wilt and cook it, without the need for pressure. Truthfully, I don't think it's really necessary to make this in any kind of pressure cooker, electric or stovetop. A nice heavy saucepan will do just fine. Spinach isn't quite the same as a chuck roast, and doesn't require hours to cook, like a stew or beans. I have no idea why it would be used for this recipe, and can't see a reason to do so.