🔕 🔔

I'd love some new ideas for how to use my panini press other than making sandwiches. Do people grill veggies? What else works?

asked by @barbaraca over 6 years ago

The panini press is great for making crisp bacon or pancetta; also, great for making hamburgers.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

Quesadillas!! Fold your tortilla in half and place it in the press with the open side facing the hinge. Grills both sides at once - quesadilla perfection. I had a chili and quesadilla party and put out bowls of ingredients to top chili and make quesadillas. Everyone had a blast.

8373933a 8619 45b5 97b1 26d9c4ebc780  foodieflirt headshot black

i sometimes grill thin slices of eggplant and zucchini on the press - typically for use in my panini. the other day i dipped a sandwich in an egg wash and pressed it - sort of monte cristo style - it turned out great and then cooked the left over scrambled egg on the grill. such an easy clean-up too!

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

Spatchcock some cornish hens!

I just bought a new and (vastly) improved one after my old one shorted out. It's great and I did steaks on it the other night! I also roasted some red peppers (the long italian ones) in it with pretty good results. Grilled Haloumi is a big deal here and I usually grill mine in my press as well (once a year I do a huge number of grilled haloumi sandwiches for the teachers at school).

Mine has grooves, not flat plates and gets hot enough to do great looking grill marks on steaks and bread.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Thanks for the question, barbaraca! A whole new world of cooking just opened up.

I have to admit that I was wondering earlier this week if this could be a weekly contest--your best non-sandwich sandwich press recipe--but wasn't sure how many folks in the US have one...

I've used mine for french toast.