Roux gone wrong in queso dip...is there any way to save it?

I made queso for the first time (not rotel dip), and I made a roux using flour and butter as the recipe called for. I'm guessing I didn't cook it long enough because the queso tastes floury. Is there any way to get rid of the floury taste and save this batch? I really don't want to waste it. I've already tried adding more milk, cheese, and seasoning to mask it, but the flour is still very discernible.

Jlauriano

KLS August 13, 2020
What are the measurements? A roux should usually be a 1:1 ratio. Also, did it say how long to cook it? Or a color it should be? Usually, a roux needs to be cooked at least 7-10 minutes, if not a bit longer for the flour to lose it's rather distinctive taste. Also, a darker color will impart a toasty flavor which can be desirable.
I imagine you want what is called a blond roux, with little to no color, so I would recommend cooking for 5-7 minutes on a low heat, stirring constantly, and then take a taste. You will know right away if it's cooked enough or not.
Unfortunately, once other ingredients have been added, it's pretty hard to lose that taste.
Did you use AP flour? That's the recommended product.
Good Luck!
Karen

creamtea August 12, 2020
you don't want to be consuming undercooked flour as it can have undesirable organisms. Perhaps you can empty it back into the cooking pot and reheat it, stirring until bubbly then continue to cook it for several minutes. Hoping someone else who knows about food safety will chime in. But, better safe than sorry....

Jlauriano August 12, 2020
I tried cooking it longer, but it didn't help. I also made a new batch, making sure to cook the flour longer, but it too has the floury taste. I can only assume that the original recipe calls for too much flour to begin with. I just wonder, now that I have two batches (!), is there anything I can do to mask that taste...?