Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Planning to make Kabobs. We wound up with cubed beef instead of beef cubes. Any suggestions? Maybe make the meatball like?

We have on steak in the fridge that I could cut up into cubes if need be.
I'm not sure whether to try to make do with the cubed beef or to use the steak instead.
Thanks!

asked by mishale over 5 years ago

You can cut the cubed beef into one inch wide strips, slice up some onion very thin and layer it on the beef strips. Then roll them jelly roll fashion before you skewer them.
You can get creative with the layering, and cater it to your liking. Things I might try would be swiss chard, sweet or hot peppers, cheese(?) thinly sliced asparagus spears.

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Do you mean you ended up with ground beef? In that case, cut up the steak in your fridge for your kabobs and use the ground beef for something else. Meatballs are a great idea!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Are you talking beef cubed steak. Like you'd use for country fried steak (chicken fried steak). Or just cubes of beef too small to use in kabobs?

For cubes of beef. Use a food processor to turn them into a hamburger. Use three batches of grinds, one fine, and another medium, and one very rough.
From there you can go with either hamburgers, or Salisbury steak. Or a "Florentine" steak. (More of a take of chicken Florentine really).
Basically, a bechamel sauce with the addition of cheese (Mornay sauce)..and finish with adding cooked drained chopped spinach to the sauce. Flour the patties to give a nice crust.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

Cubed beef and beef cubes sound like exactly the same thing to me. Probably it's Round steak, which will end up being either tough or very chewy. Next time try lamb shoulder or cut up a chuck steak for kabobs. If Kmucci is right in guessing that it's chopped meat, add an egg and some bread crumbs, and skewer Moroccan style, with paprika.

Dd9b7970 0d14 4ee2 9bae de8a44c59c9a  212

I definitely wasn't that clear with my question :) Sorry about that.

The recipe said "beef,cubed" and what we wound up with was the kind of beef you'd use for chicken fried steak.

What I've decided to do is to use the other piece of steak we have in place of the beef cubes in the kabob recipe. And then I think maybe I'll make swiss steak with the other meat, or maybe cook it up to put in with some spaghetti sauce.

Thanks for your help!

If the steak is sliced thin, you could try making satays, asian skewers. You'll need a few asian ingredients for a marinade, but otherwise it is very simple and delicious. Best of luck!