🔕 🔔

After devouring my cinnamon scones (thanks to all who assisted me btw..), I picked up some wine & beer for the week and found a bottle of Farmhouse Organic Hard Cider to sip during the day. I didn't love the flavor and the other half of the bottle is sitting in my fridge...what can I do with the remaining 11 ounces? Any cocktail ideas? Or cooking ideas? Or shall I dump the rest and recycle the bottle?

asked by KitchenKim about 7 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Try using it to brine some pork, like in this recipe: http://bit.ly/dtZR8n

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

or this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes... Ridiculously good.

Or another idea - although if you didn't like the flavor it may be a bad one for you, but ... I like to reduce cider down to a syrup that I can then use in apple pie, or in a pan sauce, or over ice cream. I've done it with hard cider and sweet cider with success, but you may want to add a wee bit of sugar to the hard cider syrup.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Maybe you could roast a pork loin with a little sweet cider added to the hard cider. This time of year, I love to make a simple mix of country mustard and maple syrup to coat the loin, and then add cider to the roasting pan.

E7de47cd 9d33 416b 84d2 56b51801a7d6  christine 28 small 1

You could braise sweet potatoes and red onions in it.

8446617e 2a44 48d6 bb85 2f1dc3feb000  n768884774 851343 4507

O.K. I am loving all ideas...my husband would love the pork loin but I love the sweet potatoes and red onions...cheese1227, how would I go about braising these lovely ingrediants?

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and the red onions in similiarly sized wedges. In a pan that would accommodate all of your onions and potatoes in a single layer, pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into the pan and put it over medium heat. Then sweat the onions and the potatoes in it so they are hot -- but not cooked through -- then pour enough cider in there so that the veggies are covered about 2/3rds of the way up. I would throw in some salt and pepper, a sprig of fresh sage and maybe a handful of prunes too. If you don't have prunes (or don't like them), I would sprinkle some brown sugar or a bit of maple syrup to cut the acidity of the cider a bit. Then you just put it covered in a 350 degree oven until the potatoes are cooked through, like 20-30 minutes depending on your wedge size.

Brilliant! I will try it tomorrow night and let you know how it goes!