After devouring my cinnamon scones (thanks to all who assisted me btw..), I picked up some wine & beer for the week and found a bottle of Farmhouse Organic Hard Cider to sip during the day. I didn't love the flavor and the other half of the bottle is sitting in my fridge...what can I do with the remaining 11 ounces? Any cocktail ideas? Or cooking ideas? Or shall I dump the rest and recycle the bottle?

asked by KitchenKim about 8 years ago

Try using it to brine some pork, like in this recipe: http://bit.ly/dtZR8n

Savorykitchen

or this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes... Ridiculously good.

Or another idea - although if you didn't like the flavor it may be a bad one for you, but ... I like to reduce cider down to a syrup that I can then use in apple pie, or in a pan sauce, or over ice cream. I've done it with hard cider and sweet cider with success, but you may want to add a wee bit of sugar to the hard cider syrup.

Bevi

Maybe you could roast a pork loin with a little sweet cider added to the hard cider. This time of year, I love to make a simple mix of country mustard and maple syrup to coat the loin, and then add cider to the roasting pan.

cheese1227

You could braise sweet potatoes and red onions in it.

KitchenKim

O.K. I am loving all ideas...my husband would love the pork loin but I love the sweet potatoes and red onions...cheese1227, how would I go about braising these lovely ingrediants?

cheese1227

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and the red onions in similiarly sized wedges. In a pan that would accommodate all of your onions and potatoes in a single layer, pour a couple of tablespoons of oil into the pan and put it over medium heat. Then sweat the onions and the potatoes in it so they are hot -- but not cooked through -- then pour enough cider in there so that the veggies are covered about 2/3rds of the way up. I would throw in some salt and pepper, a sprig of fresh sage and maybe a handful of prunes too. If you don't have prunes (or don't like them), I would sprinkle some brown sugar or a bit of maple syrup to cut the acidity of the cider a bit. Then you just put it covered in a 350 degree oven until the potatoes are cooked through, like 20-30 minutes depending on your wedge size.

KitchenKim

Brilliant! I will try it tomorrow night and let you know how it goes!