In honor of my friend, who was promoted to an associate professor at Hopkins, his wife is throwing him a brunch next weekend and I offered to bring one of his favorites' Cinnamon Scones. I have been reviewing recipes on-line and in baking books, and I have narrowed my ideas to either scones w/ cinnamon chips or folding a buttery-cinnamon syrup into the batter. I have decided to use a R.L. Beranbaum Scone Recipe and replace "currants" for the cinnamon source...which idea will result in a tastier product?

Amanda Hesser September 19, 2010

If you fold in a cinnamon syrup (I wouldn't make it too loose or it will change the consistency of the batter -- keep it more paste-like), it will disperse more and likely make them more fragrant.

KitchenKim
KitchenKim September 19, 2010

Hi Amanda - Should I make a cinnamon-like strudel instead of a syrup and fold it into the batter at the end? Kim

mrslarkin September 19, 2010

Cinnamon chips will be much easier to work with. You can drizzle the tops of the baked scones with a simple cinnamon glaze made with confectioner's sugar, cinnamon and hot water. I agree with Amanda - if you add a syrup to the dough, it will change the consistency and probably won't rise nicely. You can try a cinnamon streusel - that might work nicely. Scone dough is not batter-like though. More like a biscuit dough, so you'll have to kind of layer the streusel in at the end. Maybe press out your dough, lay the streusel on top, fold up like a letter, and cut out your scones.

Kevin
Kevin September 19, 2010

Here's a recipe for cinnamon scone: http://www.seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/2006/05/buttermilk-cinnamon-scones.html