🔕 🔔

Can I freeze a smoked hamhock and use it later to make pinto beans?

asked by ENunn over 6 years ago

Sure! Why not? Just wrap it well in foil or freezer paper, then put it into a freezer bag.

4de32233 9b14 42ac bf6a 7a02a8474e54  dsc 0034

definitely! i do this quite frequently with red beans and it works well!

I freeze them all the time. In fact, I purchase them frozen from an organic farmer at the Greenmarket. And I've also successfully frozen the cooked beans and hocks.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

And really one should never be without a ham hock at the ready!

02b68c6a 7bcb 4387 b4c5 83adca012e13  runningspoon perre magness

I frequently make a "hock stock" and freeze it. Usually just the smoked hock and water in the slow cooker. Then I bag it in portions to freeze. Then making braised greens or field peas with a really rich flavor takes less time.