Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I've tried a number of recipes for Buttermilk Pie, but the custard never seems to set.

Has anybody run into this, and do you know what fixes it?

asked by redmoxie over 5 years ago
Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Have you tried the buttermilk pie recipe from Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC?
http://dining.discoversouthcarolina...

I've made it many times and haven't run into that problem. The custard does seem to stratify though, but it doesn't affect the taste and still looks pretty.

3453acc5 6dc9 4a37 aee3 6015bd27590a  profile pic

Without seeing the recipes you're using, I would guess that your custard is not reaching temperature. If you are cooking stovetop, you could use a thermometer to make sure it reaches at least 180 degrees F. If you're baking it in the oven, perhaps it needs a bit longer, too. You could also try adding (or slightly increasing) cornstarch or flour, though I suspect temperature is likely the issue. According to cooking genius Harold McGee, egg yolks that are undercooked can cause the breakdown of starch, which liquifies otherwise perfect fillings.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I have only made it once and used the recipe from amishrecipes.net its simple and the one time I did make it the custard set beautifully.