Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

can I freeze left over steak?

asked by XXX-XXX-5627 over 5 years ago

If the steak is cooked the answer is no. If the steak is raw and has not been frozen before, yet.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Unless your name is Marie Callendar a cooked steak that's been frozen will likely taste like a rewarmed Firestone tire.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

When I grill steaks, I'll make up a couple of extras. Cooked very hot just to sear the outside and get some charcoal taste. Then put in a foodsaver bag and freeze...then vac pack and seal.
I use these for the first night on camping trips. They defrost on way up the campsite..and then simmer them a few mins to finish cooking.
Think of it as a reserve sous-vide.
It works well..kinda trickey to keep from over cooking the steak; but I go for med-rare.
You still get the charcoal taste but I don't have to build a fire the first night. Also good for mid-week quick meal when I don't want to fire up a grill and watch it.

As for fully cooked leaf over steak...probably not..but yes, you could but I'd chop it up after defrosting and use it for something else; like a topping for raman style noodles in bowl.