IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Rick Bayless creates amazing Mexican recipes many of with are vegetarian he in my opinion is one of the best. He has a website, rickbayless.com which is a great resource for his recipes. I have several of his cookbooks and have tried many of the recipes and they are outstanding.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I have this recipe for homemade refried beans that's incredible. It's from Cookshelf: Mexican, by Marlena Spieler. Once made, you can freeze them for later use. Keep in mind: once your family tries homemade refried beans, it's really hard to get them to go back to the canned version. The flavor is so much better!

Refried Beans

Make “Mexican beans” (see below)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use about half this and it works just fine.)
Large onion
½ tsp ground cumin
Salt
Cheese

1. Food process 2/3 Mex. Beans with liquid; then dump in the rest of the beans
2. Cook onion in the oil and add the cumin when their done
3. Add beans by the cupful and reduce in between
5. Add cheese if desired.

Mexican Beans

1lb 2oz dried pinto beans
Sprigs of fresh mint, thyme, parsley
An onion cut into chunks
Salt to taste

1. Soak beans overnight
2. Put drained beans in water with herbs and cook gently for 2 hours
3. Add onion, cook until tender

I don't have any specific recipes on hand, but arepas/pupusas with cheese are amazing; tamales would also be a fun thing to learn how to make. With beans, rice and roasted veggies on the side and a nice cold margarita, of course :)

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

I adapted a recipe from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill cookbook that was very good. I'll post it soon.

do you do eggs? My husband's favorite Sunday breakfast is chilequelles, basically chips and beans with a tomatillo sauce and queso fresco with poached eggs. He's been wanting me to post that recipe for you guys....(actually it's just probably been a month since I made it and he's just wanting me to make it again!)

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Thanks so much for the refried beans recipe syronai, This is perfect! (would black beans work as well? I have some on hand to soak immediately)

You're welcome, Panfusine! Yes, I actually make this recipe more often with black beans than with pinto. I like the color the black beans lend it. I tried it once with kidney and didn't think that worked so well, so I don't recommend those.

905240fe bd99 409e a391 2797c6e0f601  photo 9

anything by Diana Kennedy. She is king.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I'll get an authentic recipe to you when I return home from traveling.

Be76444a da37 4e84 80b5 f2d91a9dab60  picture 1
Fany Gerson

Fany is the author of My Sweet Mexico and Paletas.

there are many vegetarian recipes in Mexican cooking but the first thing that comes to mind is nopales. f you haven't tried them, these are cactus paddles that are delicious, nutricious and versatile.

You can find them at most latin groceries and you can either clean the thorns yourself or buy some already cleaned for a little extra money. They are slimy similar to okra but this is where all the wonderful nutrients are.

My favorite way to eat them is in a salad so just cut them into lond strips and then across so you have rectangles. Put in a pot with a little bit of water and cover, stirring once in a while until they change color to a deeper green.

Strain and allow to cool. Add some cherry tomatoes (halved), chopped cilantro, chopped serrano or jalapeno, white or red onion, a little white vinegar and olive oil.

you can also cut the nopales the same way, sautee them with a little sliced onion and mix with scrambled eggs.

The options of nopales are endless really so let me know if you want any more suggestions. Chiles rellenos are also a great vegetarian option and you can use dried chiles as well as poblano.