A question about a recipe: Spatchcocked Roast Chicken. Won't 425 degrees cause the fat to splatter all over the oven and roasting dish?

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Spatchcocked Roast Chicken" from merrill. It says:

"When you’re ready to make dinner, heat the oven to 425 degrees and remove the chicken from the fridge. Roast for 20 minutes, then baste and decrease heat to 375. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, basting once again in the middle, until cooked. Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before carving; serve with the pan juices and some crusty bread or roasted potatoes for sopping them up."

1cbdf85c 574a 4aa7 a335 10daf207de0a  4855141657 70471d1080 b
Recipe question for: Spatchcocked Roast Chicken

pierino May 15, 2011

It might splatter. But hey, it's a mean old world. Roasting a chicken means hot fat. No way round it, and you want that sizzling fat to flavor the meat.

boulangere May 15, 2011

Probably. But the chicken will be so wonderful that it's worth every spatter.

mrslarkin May 15, 2011

Yes, it will splatter, but it will be worth the mess, as the others have mentioned!

boulangere May 15, 2011

Worry about global warming, not chicken.

Merrill Stubbs May 15, 2011

Also, it's only at 425 for the first 20 minutes, when the fat hasn't had a lot of time to melt (and drip into the pan) yet.