🔕 🔔

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

Do you have any plain sewing thread? I would take about 4 lengths of thread, twist them together and use that instead. Also, depending on what you're tying up, you could twist a strip of aluminum foil tightly into a thin strip and use that. Even cutting a strip of an old, clean rag would work better than mint flavored dental floss.....good luck!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'd think you could take the dental floss, soak it in hot water for a few minutes, and get rid of the mint taste/smell. Worth a try.

I'm sorry but none of this will work. Kitchen twine needs to be pretty sturdy. Remember you are going to have to snip it out later. Go buy some kite string at the convenience store.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Is this for trussing a chicken? Do you have a clean unused white cotton shoelace maybe? That would be better than mint floss, which will tear into the skin and meat, and possibly make your chicken minty, which may not be a bad thing if you're serving those minty peas up there with it. If you use a shoelace, be sure to cut off the plastic thingies on the ends, called aglets (I just learned that's what they're called!) You learn something new on foodpickle everyday, I'm telling you. :)

White or undyed needlepoint thread might work too, if it's cotton.

P.S. Plain floss is great for cutting slices from a chilled goat cheese log....

Cfdd183b f2d3 436f abf5 4a8285003ba1  monica

I've used dental floss before. It gets slippery and so it's harder to handle than kitchen twine. Even the mint flavored one didn't stain or flavor my chicken. But be sure it's not made of something that will melt.

Dff27d8a 3f43 4c7d bfc6 0335b2b46da3  photo 59
Kari Johnson

Kari is the manager of Whisk, a kitchenware store in Brooklyn.

I've used a thick rubber band, in a pinch, and it worked out well. I didn't notice a taste, and it didn't melt. I'm not sure of how HEALTHY this was, but, hey, it worked and i'm still here!

Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

If you don't need very much of it, you could strip the paper or plastic covering from twisty ties! I have a ton of them in my kitchen so I always need uses...