Lots of loquats -- need ideas what to do with them!

3846df1f bb7b 47b4 92d8 3b940a57db35  loquat

Ten years ago during a vacation in Charleston, my son was amused to pick juicy loquats from a tree at our hotel for me to eat. He announced that he would bring home the seeds to grow his own tree -- which has become one of our loveliest and, this year, most productive. We collect about a cereal bowl's worth daily. Aside from nibbling them straight, I've used them in a delicious smoothie. I've seenr ecipes for jam and jelly, but I'm eager for other suggestions. I feel sure it would be great in salsa. What else?!

asked by jwlucas over 7 years ago

Lucky you! How about a loquat, cheese and basil on crackers? Or grill haloumi cheese and top with slices of loquat. Or appetizers of grape tomato, loquat slices and smoke mozzarella on a toothpick?

When I was growing up, my piano teacher had a huge loquat tree growing on her property. We called them Japanese plums. We used to sit on the fence and eat them off the tree till we were sick. Where do you live that you were able to grow a tree from a seed? I'd love to do that! (Sorry, I don't have any answers for you; you just brought back a nice memory.)

Kitchen Butterfly

I've made a loquat Tian before, see http://www.kitchenbutterfly...

And there are a couple of loquat recipes on food52 http://www.food52.com/recipes...

jwlucas

@KB -- Thanks so much!
@SKK -- Yes, I am lucky! Do you think they are best used fresh and not cooked?
@drbabs -- We live in Raleigh and never imaged this would thrive here. It spent several years in a pot and was then transplanted to a fairly sunny spot with good drainage. It's huge now and hopefully will be very productive. I'l glady mail you seeds, if you'd like to try!

Thanks for the offer. We just sold our house and don't know if we're moving to a house or apartment yet (so may not have space for a tree)! Also, not sure if it would grow in the Northeast. Save some seeds and I'll let you know!

Hi jwlucas, in response to your question about using fresh and not cooked, fresh is great. Was thinking they should also be good grilled with the halloumi.