I have a ton of fresh curry leaves - what should I do with them?

asked by RebeccaCooks about 5 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Lucky you! They freeze well, so why not wrap and freeze a bunch of them now? I'd suggest picking up Maya Kaimal's book on south Indian cooking, "The Spice Coast of India" -- lots of recipes call for curry leaves. Also, hopefully, pauljoseph, a food52er, who lives in Cochin, will weigh in here.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

you could dry them in the shade just sandwich the leaves between kitchen towels & lay a spatter guard over it & allow it to dry out completely. & then use it as you need for almost any Indian dish.
A simple relish with curry leaves (its really not one of those recipes you find in restaurants, more like something cobbled up at homes for a quick relish in south India ( where curry trees grow like weeds) :
1 cup curry leaves, 1/4 cup fresh ginger, Juice of 1 lime, toasted cumin, 2 green chiles (adjust as per taste) and salt to taste, process these in a food processor till smooth. it pairs well with toasted crostini (but thats just me and my crazy palate)