FIRST LOOK AT AMANDA AND MERRILL'S NEW COOKBOOK! PRE-ORDER YOUR SIGNED COPY »
🔕 🔔

recommendation for brand of pectin?? Making jam and would love any advice!

asked by @emilybooth over 5 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

What kind of pectin you use and if you use pectin at all depends on the fruit you are using to make jam. For example, with strawberries I don't use pectin. Here is a site that explains a lot about pectin. If you scroll down it has a chart on different types of pectin and advantages and disadvangtes. http://www.pickyourown...

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

This site explains some things about naturally occurring pectin:
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida...

I've had good success using lemon juice and pits in my blackberry jam. I cook the jam with a small cheesecloth packet full of lemon pits. But this is with a small quantity of jam, and blackberries are already naturally high in pectin. Depending on your fruit, you may not find this method worth the effort, as AntoniaJames has found.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

At the recommended website, you can buy Pomona's pectin! Good site, good pectin...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have been using Ball No Sugar Needed but now I think I will switch to Pomona - just have to find it - AJ - Whole Foods right?

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

I never use pectin, as taught to me by my great granny and my grandmum. If the fruit is right, and not over ripe, you will end up with a more tender product. All fruits have some pectin. I personally find most jams in this country are to tough . . . too much pectin. My jams always set using fruit, sugar and lemon juice added at the very end. I do pre-sugar blueberries the night before to breakdown the skin and allow the natural pectin to release into the fruit. . . same with red currants.

aargersi, I first discovered Pomona pectin at Whole Foods, 20 years ago, when they opened their first store in the East Bay. I've been buying it there ever since, though I can also find it during the summer at my local Safeway, as well as at my independent bulk-foods store (the Food Mill, in Oakland). And, in a true emergency resulting from discovering local just-picked (hours before) raspberries on the North Umpqua River in Oregon, while on a kayaking/hiking/bicycling vacation last summer, I drove 40 minutes to get some at a farm stand on the other side of the nearest town. The jam-making that night in our tiny rental unit on the river was memorable. I'll tell you about it next time I see you. ;o)